Fulfilling the duties we should all live by.
Appreciate the desirability of universal ethics (absolutism)
Appreciate the difference between Ethical Absolutism & Ethical Relativism
Appreciate Kant's realization that Ethics would now arise from reason alone
Understand Kantian Deontology and why duties are central to Ethics
Understand the difference between Hypothetical & Categorical Imperatives
Appreciate why after World War II the idea of Kantian Ethics fell flat
Deontology & the Problem of Consequences
The Search for Universal Values
Isn't Good Universal?
• The appeal to a universal good can be found in it's application
• If there's a good that everyone must follow, then it can be applied equally
• This gets rid of a lot of unjust things like favortism and discrimination
• If justice is about fairness and fairness is about equality, shouldn't laws be?
Do we not all share some values?
• All cultures generally protect their children
• All cultures generally promote truth-telling
• All cultures generally prohibit harming someone without just cause
• Insofar as religions are universal ( ...and some aren't) their ethics are as well
• The universal Christian ethics of prudence, justice, fortitude, and temperance
• The unverisal Islamic ethics of caring for orphans or keeping promises (17:34)
• The universal Hindu ethic of non-violence (ahimsa)