Is there only one right way?
Appreciate the Grounding Problem for Ethical questions
Appreciate the diversity of Moral Realist positions
Understand the difference between Ethical Monism & Ethical Pluralism
Appreciate what it might take to return to Kantian Ethics in a plural way
Understand how Ross' Prima Facie Duties work in a pluralist way
Appreciate the problems of treating all moral problems as unique
The Grounding Problem
Prima Facie Duties
An Introduction to Metaethics
• There ARE moral facts in the universe, just like scientific facts
• In Moral Realism, any moral claim is either true or false
• But what is the basis of moral facts?
• What is their source? Are they testable? Falsifiable?
The "Grounding Problem" of Ethics
• What is the foundation of our moral beliefs?
• It'd be fantastic if there was something solid we use as a foundation for our moral claims (eg. like math or science)
• There ARE NO moral facts — just opinions and traditions
• It is foolish to imagine morality as an objective enterprise
• So, there's nothing 'inherently wrong' about anything