Question everything with reason and evidence.
Appreciate why someone should study philosophy today
Understand Freud's topography of the Self and how it is structured
Appreciate the nature of science (cf. Natural Philosophy) and pseudoscience
Appreciate why Wittgenstein finds the best description for language as "game"
Understand Derrida's effort to deconstruct texts and why this is important
Understand the principles of Progressive (Center-Left) Political Philosophy
Appreciate how Foucault might help us in the battle against "Fake News"
Conscious, Preconscious, & Unconscious Mind
Id, Ego, & Superego
Science vs Pseudoscience
Picture-Theory of Meaning
Veil of Ignorance
Fair & Equal Oppertunity Principle
Knowledge is power
Why Philosophy Matters Now
To Know Thyself
• Technical Knowledge vs. Pratical Wisdom
• Practical Wisdom applies universally
• The Self is all you really have. And philosophy gives you the tools to know it.
Appreciate the Roles of Science & Knowledge Today
• There's a lot of garbage ideas out there (cf. Freedom of Speech)
• Philosophy gives you the tools of analysis and evaluation
• Move beyond your own Confirmation Bias
Understand the Rules of the Game
• It turns out under Wittgenstein that Language is a Game
• Learn how this works, and you'll understand the world much better
• You'll also come to appreciate art, politics, and culture more
Better grasp of Arguments
• How to make a sound judgement
• How to differentiate between different sources of information
Engenders a more interesting, sophisticated personality
• studying philosophy literally makes you sophisticated!