• Define Key Terms
• Explain the difference between a Theologian and a Scholar
• Explain the evolution of Religious Studies (Comparative to Functionalist)
Theologian (c.f. "")
Scholar of Religion (c.f. "")
Religion in a Public School Setting
The Theologian & the Scholar
• A theogian does religion. A scholar studies religion.
• A theologian picks sides; a scholar does not.
• A scholar is interested in historical, philosophical, and sociological reasons
why a theologian or religious group makes a claim
• Not whether the theologian or religious group is right
Why Scholarship doesn’t compete with Theology ()
• Different approaches with different goals
• Theology: shares personal beliefs as “Truth”
• Scholarship: shares peer-reviewed scholarship; makes no claims to “Truth”
• They appeal to different audiences (i.e. student vs congregant)
What does a Scholar of Religion do?
• Contextualize a social group's origins, texts, and claims
• Compare claims of a social group with the historical record
• Critique social power structures and how they are used
• Analyze the ways social groups perceive and simplify complex social problems • Resist social forces that aim to make religious authorities unquestionable