• Define Key Terms
• Appreciate the role that modernity had in changing the world's religions
• Understand how the Abrahamic traditions were affected by modernity
• Understand how the Eastern traditions were affected by modernity
• Recognize why the splits occurred between fundamentalism and modernism
• Appreciate the nuance in the question of Muslim women and the hijab
• Recognize the ongoing (largely unknown) problem of terrorism in the East
What is Modernity?
Rationalism: A break from Metaphor
• Ancient: History is a , best described through
• Modern: History is progressing in ways we can precisely describe
Individualism: A break from Authority
• Ancient: authority is invested in
• Modern: authority is invested in the individual to find the truth himself
Colonialism: A break from Trascendence
• Ancient: the earth and should be respected
• Modern: Nations should maximize use of the earth through colonization
Modern Religion: No longer universal, public, and obligatory
• Religion is now local. Every Christian prince chooses his own Christianity.
• Religion is now private. It is now a matter of what you personally believe.
• Religion is now voluntary. There is no compulsion in modern religion.